AArDvarK

Default dial calipers for woodworking "link"

....just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Alex

AArDvarK

It is a good price. Beats Highland Hardware. But if it were me, I would
buy a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $16.

You're a real machinist right? Why wouldn't you buy a Starrett
or a Brown and Sharp? Those are too much dinero for poor meo
though.

Alex

AArDvarK

You can do without. Get digital if any.

Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...? I am just starting
in an adult-ed class, total "newby" here.

Alex

AL

Me? No, I'm a hobbyist. Many (but not all) Brown and Sharp calipers are
made in China just like Harbor Freight. I do not think Starrett's
electronic measuring equipment are very good. Moreover, I do not like their
digital calipers. In my opinion, Mitutoyo makes the best digital calipers.
But they are expensive too. If I drop by Mitutoyo caliper, I'm going to sit
down and cry. If I drop by Harbor Freight caliper, I wouldn't care less.
The Harbor Freight caliper doesn't have the same refined feel as the
Mitotoyo, but it agrees with it (ie. same readings) when measuring. In my
opinion, the Harbor Freight caliper is the best caliper suited for
woodworking.

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

It is a good price. Beats Highland Hardware. But if it were me, I

would
buy a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $16.

You're a real machinist right? Why wouldn't you buy a Starrett
or a Brown and Sharp? Those are too much dinero for poor meo
though.

Alex

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

AArDvarK wrote:
...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

You don't have to have one, but I've found mine to be damned handy. This one
looks pretty good to me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Greg Millen

"AArDvarK" wrote in message ...
Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to
read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...?

Hi Alex, this link may help you to figure out how to read the thing:

http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/ruler/vernier.html

--
Greg

AArDvarK

Me? No, I'm a hobbyist. Many (but not all) Brown and Sharp calipers are
made in China just like Harbor Freight. I do not think Starrett's
electronic measuring equipment are very good. Moreover, I do not like their
digital calipers. In my opinion, Mitutoyo makes the best digital calipers.
But they are expensive too. If I drop by Mitutoyo caliper, I'm going to sit
down and cry. If I drop by Harbor Freight caliper, I wouldn't care less.
The Harbor Freight caliper doesn't have the same refined feel as the
Mitotoyo, but it agrees with it (ie. same readings) when measuring. In my
opinion, the Harbor Freight caliper is the best caliper suited for
woodworking.

that's some good news and common sense, thanks.
Alex

Ba r r y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:15:50 +1000, "Greg Millen"
wrote:

"AArDvarK" wrote in message ...
Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to
read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...?

Hi Alex, this link may help you to figure out how to read the thing:

http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/ruler/vernier.html

Or just buy one that reads in fractions and decimals:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46036&category=1%2C43513%2C43546&ccu rrency=2&SID=85ABCFDD11

I think a caliper is useful enough to have ordered the unit above to
replace a broken, old caliper. However, I wouldn't put it very high
on a Newbie tool list.

For simply checking board thickness, etc... I keep a 4" brass sliding
caliper in my apron pocket.

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=104193&itemType=PRODUC T&iMainCat=10000&iSubCat=10040&iProductID=104193

Barry

bugbear

AArDvarK wrote:
...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

Measuring calipers, be they "direct", vernier, dial
or digital are very convenient for many tasks
in woodworking.

Not the first think I'd buy, but nice to have.

IIRC in the USA you can get a plastic dial caliper
that reads in fractions on an inch, and it's cheap.

That'd probably work just fine for WW.

BugBear

Dave Hinz

On 20 Sep 2004 04:51:17 GMT, JLucas ILS wrote:
You can do without. Get digital if any.

Bah. I'd rather have a mechanical device that, if it's not working
properly, I'll be able to see in it's action. A digital may be perfectly
fine, but if it's off by some amount, you won't see any signs, it'll
just silently be wrong giving you bad information.

....unless of course you check calibration on it every time you use
it, I suppose...

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:05:44 -0700, AArDvarK wrote:

It is a good price. Beats Highland Hardware. But if it were me, I would
buy a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $16.

You're a real machinist right? Why wouldn't you buy a Starrett
or a Brown and Sharp? Those are too much dinero for poor meo
though.

Well, it's not like you have to keep buying them though, is it? Once
you have a good one, that's a lifetime tool if treated well.

Wilson

I wouldn't be without! I use it all the time when planing or trying to rip
to match a width.
Get the kind with the thumbwheel...much easier to handle. Mine's from HF.
Very accurate checked against drillrod and some micrometer check blocks.
Wilson
"AArDvarK" wrote in message

...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Alex

Gerald Ross

AArDvarK wrote:
...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Alex

Just ordered the same one for $29. Thanks a lot. I have a plastic one
that is accurate, but does not have a lock to hold it at the same
reading for multiple measurements. I also have a metal vernier, which
locks and I can use it, but it is a cheapie and rusts.
I agree it's nice to have both decimal and fractions on the dial.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

MaxEN

bugbear wrote in message ...
AArDvarK wrote:
...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

Measuring calipers, be they "direct", vernier, dial
or digital are very convenient for many tasks
in woodworking.

Not the first think I'd buy, but nice to have.

IIRC in the USA you can get a plastic dial caliper
that reads in fractions on an inch, and it's cheap.

This is what I have and use it for many years, but I thing it's time
to upgrade, heihland hardware has the best one with 1/16 inch fraction
which Wood magazine call it the best and it is very easy to read it,
but I do not want to pay $8 for shipping, well, next week in Chicago
Woorworkers show I may find one ang get it. But ues, you do not have
to have it, but it is handy some times.

Maxen

That'd probably work just fine for WW.

BugBear

Ba r r y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:00:19 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

IIRC in the USA you can get a plastic dial caliper
that reads in fractions on an inch, and it's cheap.

That'd probably work just fine for WW.

Mine did. I've used a General plastic caliper that reads in decimal
to .001 for 14 years. Through no fault of the caliper, mine is now
past tense. I paid about $30 for it in 1990.

I've replaced it with the Lee Valley fraction / decimal combo caliper,
but it hasn't arrived yet. The LV is the same price the General was,
and reads both ways. LV's satisfaction policy is second to none, and
the caliper was well-reviewed, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Barry

Wilson

I like the little one. Convenient and reliable and inexpensive...no
batteries.
http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102149
Wilson

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Alex

RKG

As a newbie it's not high on the list of things you need. I got one with my
reloading equipment years ago and used it quite a bit. Because of discs
gone in my back I had to give up shooting but when I sold the reloading
stuff I kept the caliper. I've used it occasionally but not a whole lot
with woodworking.

Rick

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Alex

George E. Cawthon

AArDvarK wrote:

You can do without. Get digital if any.

Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...? I am just starting
in an adult-ed class, total "newby" here.

Alex

Anybody that deals with holes and things that go in holes and dadoes
and things that fit in dadoes could use one. I bought a General (some
swiss made deal) when it was on sale several years ago. Made of some
kind of gray plastic with a dial, it remains surprisingly accurate
even though dropped several times. One of the handiest tool I have.
Every time I'm in my shop (garage to you) I pick it up measure
something. Just bought the $16 HF dial caliper which is higher
quality, but I'll be careful about not dropping it. You will be
surprised at how useful it is.

Prometheus

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:02:24 -0700, "AArDvarK"
wrote:

...just thought I'd share this product link:

http://www.tool-solutions.com/product/102153

As a newbie, anyone think I should have one?

Yes, but you could get yourself a 12" Vernier caliper graduated in
..001" increments (1/64 is approximately .032") for about the same
price, and you don't need to worry about sawdust working it's way into
any mechanical parts. Also, I saw someone else suggest a digital
caliper, and in my experience, they are junk unless you want to pay
for a Miyoto, Brown & Sharpe or something of equal quality. If you
get one of those "import" ones, they have a tendancy to give wild
readings after a relatively short period of time. The vernier takes a
little getting used to compared to a simple dial caliper, but it's
worth the minimal effort involved to get a tool that will last
forever, rather than one that will likely fall apart after a year or
two- especially if you drop it or get it wet at all.

All differences in caliper types aside, they are truly excellent tools
for a lot of different applications, especially for measuring depths
in holes or mortices that are too small to allow you to slide a rule
into them.