Ba r r y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:15:50 +1000, "Greg Millen"
wrote:

"AArDvarK" wrote in message ...
Yeah, they do do inches. I have a proper vernier that I don't know how to
read
but I need to know if I really need a caliper for woodwork...?

Hi Alex, this link may help you to figure out how to read the thing:

http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/ruler/vernier.html

Or just buy one that reads in fractions and decimals:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46036&category=1%2C43513%2C43546&ccu rrency=2&SID=85ABCFDD11

I think a caliper is useful enough to have ordered the unit above to
replace a broken, old caliper. However, I wouldn't put it very high
on a Newbie tool list.

For simply checking board thickness, etc... I keep a 4" brass sliding
caliper in my apron pocket.

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=104193&itemType=PRODUC T&iMainCat=10000&iSubCat=10040&iProductID=104193

Barry