AArDvarK

Me? No, I'm a hobbyist. Many (but not all) Brown and Sharp calipers are
made in China just like Harbor Freight. I do not think Starrett's
electronic measuring equipment are very good. Moreover, I do not like their
digital calipers. In my opinion, Mitutoyo makes the best digital calipers.
But they are expensive too. If I drop by Mitutoyo caliper, I'm going to sit
down and cry. If I drop by Harbor Freight caliper, I wouldn't care less.
The Harbor Freight caliper doesn't have the same refined feel as the
Mitotoyo, but it agrees with it (ie. same readings) when measuring. In my
opinion, the Harbor Freight caliper is the best caliper suited for
woodworking.

that's some good news and common sense, thanks.
Alex