Dave

The furnace humidifier is a good idea. When I did my floor, I did 2000
Sq Ft over a couple of weeks. I stacked the wood in the room for six weeks
prior to the job, but I neglected to put spacers between layers. Oops. The
first 1500 ft went well, but for the last 500 ft I got sloppy and ended up
with a lot of cracks. I'm not sure if it was humidity in those bottom layers
in the stack, or if it was just careless work on the home stretch. Those
cracks are a constant reminder for me that I can do better if I have another
chance. The power staplers save effort and make a good job. I put decorative
inlays around the stair landings, really nice effect. We put hardwood in the
kitchen and around a toilet, not the greatest idea but it worked out ok. I
wouldn't do that again. I found a videotape of how to do hardwood floors,
sold over the internet, and found that really useful.

Dave

"Jana" wrote in message
om...
Greg G. wrote in message
. ..
AL said:

I'm hardly an expert, but I would say a mistake would be to not make
sure
the paying customer understands that humidity related shrinkage gaps are
be expected. Maybe a mockup showing what it will look like in the
winter is
in order.

Or take the opportunity to sell them a furnace humidifier as well.
It has worked wonders for our house and furniture, and an added
benefit is that you are less susceptible to colds.
FWIW,

Greg G.

The key to avoiding seasonal shrinkage is, as said above, moisture
content. Buy it from a supplier where you know it hasn't been sitting
around picking up moisture in warehouses or conatainers. If it's dried
right, there should be no problems. If the supplier says this is
normal...go somewhere else.