Tim Douglass

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:34:23 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:34:15 GMT, "Dan White"
wrote:
Are you talking about the connectors that are sunk into grooves under the
countertop (like a Mills Pride type countertop corner) or just the L

shaped
flat brackets?

The recessed ones. One hole in each piece with a groove between and a
bolt through to pull them together.

Like this:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...r=cross%20bolt

Tiny version:
http://tinyurl.com/5kmu7

OK. I'd have to cut the hard maple myself to do this. They only supply the
raw block. The supplier recommended I drill holes where needed and connect
the two pieces of counter with dowels and wood glue. That sounds easier if
I can be careful enough to drill holes that allow the pieces to come
together evenly.

The advantage to the connectors over dowels is that you can get them
snug, then adjust the joint before finally tightening them. I've done
butcher block counter tops without glue, but if you want, a layer of
Gorilla Glue would probably be helpful. I wouldn't use anything with a
faster set time. To join two 3' pieces in an L I would use at least 3
and probably 4 of the connectors, but realize that all any type of
connector is doing is holding alignment, the actual joint must be cut
accurately and the alignment must be assured in the positioning of the
tops. If one is slightly higher than the other or something you will
*never* get a good joint.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com