Lyn J. Mangiameli

Well, you captured me on this one.

Actually, its an interesting question.

First, I have no doubt that almost any good jigging system will offer
more consistent repeatability of grind than hand honing. The issue here
is how precise is necessary and desirable. With regards to the necessary
part, well, anyone who has looked at some of the gouges Richard Raffan
has ground will know that in the hands of a skilled turner (and perhaps
a lot of lesser turners as well) one can have multiple irregular facets
and do just fine. As for desirable, I remain convinced that jigging
systems will allow the least steel to be removed to obtain an effective
new edge. So if tool life is a big deal (and with the price of some of
the exotic alloy gouges, it is), then choosing a system that will
prolong tool life is desirable.

But more to your point, are their reasons to assume that some turners
will have less physical ability to free hand sharpen than others, and I
think this is an unequivocal yes. However, the very things that would
detract from one's ability to sharpen would dertract from one's ability
to obtain good gouge cuts. Still making turnings can involve more than
sensitive use of a gouge or skew (40 grit sandpaper can do wonders)
while minus a jig, their are fewer alternatives with sharpening.

So what might interfere with hand held sharpening. Well three come
immediatly to mind: 1, reduced fine motor coordination; 2, reduced
tactile/proprioceptive feedback; 3, poor visual acuity and reduced
contrast sensitivity. All of these circumstances are not that uncommon
in folks as they get older, particularly if they are diabetic and have
developed a bit of peripheral neuropathy. Of course there is just
natural variation in eye-hand coordination, regardless of age. I know
you know these things, but I rose to your bait because I do think the
point is significant. Anyone who follows sports, among other things,
knows there are is a range of natural abilities, and that some will be
able to accomplish things even the most motivated of others cannot.
There is no reason to assume that the skills involved in unassisted
precision sharpening are any less vulnerable to natural variation than
any other activity requiring manual skills.

Lyn

Arch wrote:
Sharpening aids & jigs are certainly useful and are employed instead of
or to supplement freehand by many turners, experienced as well as
neophytes. Mostly for convenience and to easily & precisely reproduce
bevelled edges.

I do not believe that some of us are endowed by their creator with an
innate ability to sharpen freehand while others are not. I suspect that
this is a learned skill not a talent. Else why should I believe, as I
do, that almost everyone can learn to turn?

However, re skills, talents and such, I hope Lyn will offer a
professional opinion. Arch

Fortiter,