Joe Fleming

Arch,

I agree that it is a skill to a point. There are people that can run
sub 4 miles, but I will never get there despite years of training. In
other words, I suppose there are people that have insufficient
dexterity to successfully and repeatably freehand grind. I also think
this number is very small.

On the flip side, you can make terrible grinds with a jig too. The
jig is not a cure-all, just a help. The most important thing for
successful grinding is knowing what a correctly ground edge is shaped
like and when you don't have it.

Joe FLeming - San Diego
======================================

(Arch) wrote in message ...
Sharpening aids & jigs are certainly useful and are employed instead of
or to supplement freehand by many turners, experienced as well as
neophytes. Mostly for convenience and to easily & precisely reproduce
bevelled edges.

I do not believe that some of us are endowed by their creator with an
innate ability to sharpen freehand while others are not. I suspect that
this is a learned skill not a talent. Else why should I believe, as I
do, that almost everyone can learn to turn?

However, re skills, talents and such, I hope Lyn will offer a
professional opinion. Arch

Fortiter,