George

As lathe operators, the tenon method seems best, but the recommended PVA
(wood glue) may not be the best, as it's sensitive to moisture, heat and
acid. I'd do non-water-soluble plastic types like epoxy or urethane, which
would make a "dowel" joint with a length of brazing rod possible. The less
flexible glues shouldn't be a problem if both pieces are long-grained, and
you would be free to work to whatever diameter you're comfortable with.

You need a trip up north to get some cherry.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.22.22.31.50.104855@notarealserver .com...
I want to fasten a stem of cherry to a glass of maple prior to turning a
couple stemmed tulip glasses. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best
way to go about it? Most especially, do I need to make some sort of
mechanical joint (socket & tenon or interlocking v's come to mind as
possibilities that might look good and add strength) or is it enough to
just use flat mating faces?

I am thinking that something with an overall ht. of 6" to 8" and a
widest diameter of about 2" might look nice. I have tons of very nice
maple but only a small stock of cherry and I want to be careful not to
waste the cherry.