Ken G.

Anonymous wrote:
I want to fasten a stem of cherry to a glass of maple prior to turning a
couple stemmed tulip glasses. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best
way to go about it? Most especially, do I need to make some sort of
mechanical joint (socket & tenon or interlocking v's come to mind as
possibilities that might look good and add strength) or is it enough to
just use flat mating faces?

I am thinking that something with an overall ht. of 6" to 8" and a
widest diameter of about 2" might look nice. I have tons of very nice
maple but only a small stock of cherry and I want to be careful not to
waste the cherry.

Bill

I'd suggest flaring out the top of the stem to no less than 1/2" to give
an adequate glue joint. That area would have a similar profile to a golf
tee. You can gain some strength and facilitate alignment by drilling a
1/8" hole into the top of the stem, and turning a 1/8" round tenon at
the bottom of the goblet's bowl to fit in the hole. Glue it with yellow
carpenter's glue, that is stronger than the wood itself. Preventing glue
squeezeout is tricky, you only need to spread a thin layer on each
surface. If you turn the maple bowl (top) first, then glue it on while
the stock for the stem is still chucked in the lathe, you can make some
cleanup cuts with a skew or pyramid tool to make it look good. That
would be BEFORE you thin out the stem to final thickness.
Having tailstock support at the top of the goblet would be a great help
for the finishing cuts--such as a plug to fit the top rim, with a center
hole for the tailstock's point to go into. This setup will also allow
you to clamp the glue joint with the tailstock.

Ken Grunke
Coulee Region Woodturners
http://www.crwoodturner.com/