Lyn J. Mangiameli

I won't belabor folks with the details as anyone who wants them can find
them by searching on my name and Tormek, Sharpening, or Grinders. And in
a couple of months you will be able to read an extensive comparative
article discussing all the principle means of sharpening woodturning
tools: HS grinder, LS grinder, Belt Sander, and Tormek. I have the
choice of them all, use them all, and find a place for them all in the
maintenance of my turning tools.

I will just note that I am a woodturner,have been for a long time, am
not on commission nor attempting to sell anything, but my findings based
on critical experience with all the many sharpening methods is that the
Tormek is one of the very best methods of maintaining the edge of ones
turning tools, particularly gouges. I find it gives a meaningfully
sharper edge than any tool used straight off a dry grinder, provides for
more time between grindings, results in less steel being removed which
of course leads to longer tool life, and is safe, easy and predictable
to use.

These are not just my findings, but are consistent with the many
professional turners who have been very pleased with the Tormek (Steve
Russell being a very good example of someone who very rigorously
evaluates any tool that he puts to use and lauds the Tormek), or have
long advocated that for anything other than roughing out, honing with a
fine abrasive should follow dry grinding (Jerry Glaser, Alan Lacer, Rude
Osolnick,Bob Stocksdale and Del Stubs is just a short list of the
prominent). Some of the folks at the cutting edge of investigating
sharpening techniques (Bill Tindall being a good example) have found the
superiority of a finely honed edge for woodturning (he uses diamond
slurries).

So while folks have every right to be satisfied with whatever level of
sharpness that meets their needs and sensibilities, a blanket statement
that the Tormek or finely honed edges "just isn't appropriate for us" is
simply not supported by the findings and practices of a substantial body
of knowledgable and respected turners.

Lyn

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
My personal feeling is that anybody selling a Tormek to a turner is either not a turner or
working on commission. It just isn't appropriate for us. Turning a 1' diameter form at 250
rpm and we are cutting 785'/minute. That glass-like edge may even last several seconds.

I roughed out a sweet gum bowl(not my favorite wood but the log has been taking up space in
my garage) and reground at least 6 times because it was quick and easy and I knew that the
tool would cut better after it was ground. I'm using the Oneway mastercut gouges, btw.