dalecue

vmtw wrote in message ...
Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate
that would be good for small projects.
Scott

Scott,
checked out the web page - looks like you folks got the once-upon-a-time
Westinghouse Micarta line - an excellent prioduct

I have lots of experience turning phenolics -the short version is:

avoid the glass reinforced stuff

molded rodI know, it;s already roundin the X, CE, or LE grades is what you
want to use - it turns and sands well, and will take a finnish
the other grades are too abrasive and/or nasty to deal with

sheet rod,cut from layerded sheets has a tendency
to de-lamminate when turned

shoot me an emai l- change the "spamex" to "att"
if you can get tons of scrap - we should talk

HTH
Dale