John Pierce

(Kip055) wrote in message ...
Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate

I'm not sure of the chemical composition but I once turned a disc of Pergo
flooring (to use as an inlay in a small table top). Never worked anything
before or since that was faster at dulling a tool!!

Phenolic laminate has some pretty funky aldhydes in it. Plus, it very
likely is reinforced with fiber glass. I was explaining to the kids
recently that fiberglass is really glass fibers (they didn't make the
connection). Watch breathing those glass fibers. Or, for that
matter, getting them embedded in your skin (ouch)!

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust