Ken G.

Phil wrote:
New to this group, but not to turning.
Two questions-- Anybody seen the MLCS routerbit that cuts 30-60 angles
for 6-12 piece stave blanks? Any good? They have two others for 8 & 16
pieces. $29.99 each. Couldn't you just set the jointer for 45 deg for
8 pcs & 22.5 deg for 16 pcs? Then cut off at 90 on the TS , crosscut
to stave height & glue up? Havn't tried it yet, but will follow this
thread & post when I do-- just wanted some feedback on the bits & the
alternate method. Have to fix the LM first
Phil

If you have a decent tablesaw with a sharp blade, you don't need
anything else.
I've made hundreds of staved percussion drum shells with only a
tablesaw, with between 12 and 30 pieces. I set the blade angle with a
plastic draftsman's protractor, held against the miter guage to make
sure it was square against the blade--if it wasn't you'd get an angle error.
To check your angle, cut one stave and chop it up into short pieces,
then superglue them together on a flat surface over wax paper.

In the beginning, we tried a 15 degree carbide router bit for a 12-pc
drum shell but found the tablesaw with a fine-tooth carbide blade to be
quicker, easier, and more econimical. The saw's toothmarks rarely showed
up in the glued joint after finish-turning unless the saw operator was
less than careful while ripping the staves.

BTW, 8 pieces need a 22.5 deg. edge angle, 45 deg. would give a square.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/