Barry N. Turner

I have a very simple finishing process for turned items. Normally, I start
power sanding (if the item allows) with 80 or 100 grit, sometimes 120,
depending on the wood and the surface left by the tool. Then 180, 320 and
finally 400 grit. Make absolutely sure each sanding step removes the
scratches left by the previous grit. As another turner once said, "Put the
polish on the wood."

I think a lot of finishes fall short simply because of inadequate or
improper sanding. Sanding is probably the most important step in the
process. Most everyone I know hates to sand, including me. But, when you
consider how important sanding is to the appearance of the finished piece,
give this step the attention it deserves. I can't stress this enough. I
have seen many absolutely beautifully shaped pieces that just didn't "make
it" because they were not sanded and finished properly. This sanding step
is where you "make it" or "break it". Sand too little and the finish will
never look right no matter what you use. Sand too much and you ruin the
piece. It is very easy to round over edges and obliterate crisp details
when you sand. This can absolutely ruin the appearance of a piece.

If the piece doesn't look good without a finish, it's not going to be
miraculously rescued by the finish you put on. Inspect the piece under a
good light. All sanding scratches and tool marks should be gone. The piece
should be absolutely smooth and the curves should flow smoothly. Curves
should have no flat spots. The piece should "feel good" in your hands.
Sometimes you can feel surface imperfections that you don't see.

If you have sanded a piece properly, the choice of finish becomes less
important. For a finish, I use Minwax Polyurethane Gloss or semi gloss.
The brush-on version. I'm sure other varnishes or oils would work just as
well. I slop it on heavily with a brush and let it soak into the wood,
replenishing any dry spots. Depending on the wood, you might want to thin
the first coat. After about 10 minutes, I wipe off the excess. If the
piece is still mounted, I run the lathe at a medium speed and burnish the
finish in with a pad made from an old t-shirt. The heat generated speeds
the drying process. I let it dry overnight.

On some woods, just one coat is sufficient to give a very nice low-gloss
finish. If further coats are desired, I apply additional coats after a
light buffing between coats with 0000 steel wood or a fine Scotch-Brite pad.
Nothing could be simpler........except maybe no finish at all!

Barry

"RESPITE95" wrote in message
Given that no finish is a "one size fits all" I expect that most turners

have
settled on just a very few finishes that they use most of the time. I use

50/50 mix of gloss Deft and laquer thinner about 80% of the time and then
polish with the Beal system. With this mix, I can vary the sheen as

needed
depending on other factors. What are your most often used finishes? Why

do I
ask? I have a program coming up for my woodturners group on finishing.

We
have three presenters who each use a different method. I would like to

see if
there is any general agreement among the wise men and ladies of this

group.
GCS