Ray Sandusky

I use one of 2 finishes for 90% of may work - the other 10% is shellac

60% of the time, I use pure tung oil to seal and the beall buffing system to
finish - spectacular results!
30% of the time, I use Waterlox - about 4 coats - sealed, protecteed and
impervious to the elements!

Why make it more difficult?

Ray

PS: The shellac finish is probably the most interactive and the most
pleasing to apply and work. The results can be quite exceptional if you
want to take the time to do it properly. Also, the shellac finish provides
an opportunity to make the piece look antique if that is a look you want to
acheive.

"RESPITE95" wrote in message
Given that no finish is a "one size fits all" I expect that most turners
have
settled on just a very few finishes that they use most of the time. I use
50/50 mix of gloss Deft and laquer thinner about 80% of the time and then
polish with the Beal system. With this mix, I can vary the sheen as
needed
depending on other factors. What are your most often used finishes? Why
do I
ask? I have a program coming up for my woodturners group on finishing.
We
have three presenters who each use a different method. I would like to
see if
there is any general agreement among the wise men and ladies of this
group.
GCS