gerry

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:43:53 GMT, Gate wrote:

gerry wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:31:44 GMT, Gate wrote:

TN wrote:

I am in the process of building a 3000 SQFT house that my builder
spec'ed for two zone heat.
He called my yesterday and said after he met

clip

This can easily be done using one furnace with one air conditioner
(and if needed, a 2 to 3 zone zoning system).

snip

It is fairly unlikely the A/C does a very good job at dehumidifying. High
SEER units tend to be poor at latent heat removal.

I suppose you are not familiar with the equipment I've referenced.
The system actually has desired humidity level settings and will
maintain them, so say for example in the summer time, the sensible is
steady but latent has increased, the system will remove latent without
noticible change in sensible.

You are correct that I'm not familiar with that particular system. Thanks
for the info (and that below)!

I'd love to know how they control latent heat without a noticeable change
in sensible AND operated at the specified SEER. That is an incredible
amount of stuff to juggle ;-)

gerry

Another words...
The thermostat will operate the A/C strictly for dehumidification
without allowing the room temperature to decrease.

Here is the equipment I would reccomend, if I were speaking to you
"person to person."

Air Conditioner:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3966,00.html

And I would research costs associated with captive designs (proprietary
repair parts) with Carrier and a few other big names.

I am not suggesting they are not good units, just lifetime cost of
ownership (repairs and service) tend to be higher with some brand name
equipment.

Thus, add the cost of a long term service contract when getting quotes.

gerry

possibly. but that holds true with *any* brand of equipment you would
purchase. I will be quite honest here in saying that years ago I was
against Carrier/Bryant equipment for over-usage of controls, etc; and
the same went for Lennox and Trane as well. I would install units that
were less complicated, etc; and yeah - they were cheap. Coleman, York,
Goodman (Janitrol), Comfort-Aire, Nordyne products (Miller, Kelvinator,
Westinghouse), Heil, I could name several more.

Times have changed, Carrier has changed, and for the most part to the
better. Carier listened to contractors when they redisgned their entire
product line. Better built, less callbacks (warranty calls) equipment
that actually reduces customers utility bills.

As for zoning needs...
You can't beat Arzel (http://www.arzelzoning.com/)
No electric motorized dampers, very intuitive control panels, no need to
redisgn and reInstall ductwork (existing ducts can be split into various
zones with no problems - as long as they are accessible).

A little FYI:
You use computer technology to access this newsgroup.
You may want to print a post for whatever reason, and your printer is
connected to the CPU via a USB connection.
Carriers Infinity Control/Furnace/Air Conditioner/Heat Pump are
connected basically the same way: via a universal serial buss where only
4 wires are needed even for 2-stage heating and 2-stage cooling. A 24vac
(+), common (-), and two data terminals. The system is self-diagnosing.
We have been putting them in since they came out, and have 0 service
calls on them so far.

peace,
-Gate

--