TN

gerry wrote:
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:56:47 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

This is Turtle.

Yea, for one statement on the heat pump. You stated that the heat pump would
cost more and cost more to install. I do this for a living and the heat pump
cost less than a gas fired furnance, evap. coil, and condenser. On the 6 brand I
sell the heat pump runs about $60.00 to $100.00 cheaper to buy wholesale than
the gas furnce/ coil / condenser. Also it take less time to install a heat pump
than a gas furnce coil system. You speak before you think or you don't know
about it.

Turtle,

Down in your area (LA) air exchange heat pumps make sense. The original
poster mentioned he is in the Northeast, as I do. Air exchange heat pumps
are just very expensive electric heaters up here ;-)

Geothermal works, jury seems to be out regarding lifetime costs of
ownership and operation. Installation costs of geothermal are very high
com paired to air exchange units.

Just think there you might have missed the location - Northeast.

gerry

Gerry and Turtle,
Thanks for your input. I think my builders goal here is to use 2 zone
heat for the main house (2600 SQFT colonial) with a 2 zone forced air
oil system, and since (I guess) the run length is too long for the
office (room over mudroom) and family room (room over garage) which is
about 420 SQFT total to use a heat pump to serve that area. He is
supposed to call me today to discuss this further, I'd just need a heads
up on the pros/cons/options available.
Again thanks.