gerry

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:31:44 GMT, Gate wrote:

TN wrote:
I am in the process of building a 3000 SQFT house that my builder
spec'ed for two zone heat.
He called my yesterday and said after he met

clip

This can easily be done using one furnace with one air conditioner
(and if needed, a 2 to 3 zone zoning system).

I assume you are speaking of a natural gas fired furnace,
and using an electric air conditioner.

Technology today is more advancede and because of that,
easier to manage home comfort.

This is what I wold use in your situation.
A 96% AFUE gas furnace with a variable speed fan system.
An 18 SEER 2-speed electric air conditioner,
(yes, with TXV on evaporator)
A Thermostat that not only controls desired heating and cooling
comfort levels, but controls humidity levels in the home as well.
(dehumidifies via the A/C as well as operates an add-on humidifier)

It is fairly unlikely the A/C does a very good job at dehumidifying. High
SEER units tend to be poor at latent heat removal.

Here is the equipment I would reccomend, if I were speaking to you
"person to person."

Air Conditioner:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3966,00.html

And I would research costs associated with captive designs (proprietary
repair parts) with Carrier and a few other big names.

I am not suggesting they are not good units, just lifetime cost of
ownership (repairs and service) tend to be higher with some brand name
equipment.

Thus, add the cost of a long term service contract when getting quotes.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com