Gate

TN wrote:
I am in the process of building a 3000 SQFT house that my builder
spec'ed for two zone heat.
He called my yesterday and said after he met
with his mechanicals subcontractor that two zones were probably not
enough since the room over the mudroom and the room over garage were (I
guess) to far away from the furnace to be efficiently heated. He was
suggesting we add a heat pump for those two rooms (with AC of course).
We live in Northeast and I am worried this would be terribly expensive
solution. I questioned him about adding a third zone and he said he'd
get back to me after talking to the sub again. Does a heat pump make
sense? I don't understand why a third zone couldn't be added fairly
easily. Is this a cost issue? Wouldn't a larger BTU furnace do the
job? Our contract specified two zone heat, is this something I should
have to pay extra for or would this be his cost.
Thanks in adavance for any advice you have.

This can easily be done using one furnace with one air conditioner
(and if needed, a 2 to 3 zone zoning system).

I assume you are speaking of a natural gas fired furnace,
and using an electric air conditioner.

Technology today is more advancede and because of that,
easier to manage home comfort.

This is what I wold use in your situation.
A 96% AFUE gas furnace with a variable speed fan system.
An 18 SEER 2-speed electric air conditioner,
(yes, with TXV on evaporator)
A Thermostat that not only controls desired heating and cooling
comfort levels, but controls humidity levels in the home as well.
(dehumidifies via the A/C as well as operates an add-on humidifier)

If the furnace is to be located at one end of the basement, and you have
difficulty with airflow to a room over the garage at the other (far)
end, you may want to split those difficult areas into "zones"
If so, an effective way to do so is using Arzel Zoning Technology.

I would get another opinion from a contractor who is experienced in
zoning needs.

Someone who knows how to correctly calculate the required heating and
cooling loads in your home, understands how to size the ductwork
required to move the air which will carry those loads, and if need be
split the system into zones - all using one furnace and one airconditioner.

Just last month, I removed 2 furnaces, and 2 airconditioners from a
building (beauty solon) installed one furnace, one air conditioner, and
an Arzel AirBoss 3-zone panel. We used 3 programable thermostats using
the existing ductwork and improved the "irregular heating/cooling" in
the various parts of the structure, while saving the customer $$$ on
their monthly fuel consumption. The furnace was a 96% 120K-BTU 2-stage
heat, with a 5-ton single-speed air conditioner, a Thermidistat in the
"main zone" and 2 standard programable thermostats for the other two
zones. we also properly sized the required fresh air intake into the
system for the needs of the business (in acordance with local codes).

Here is the equipment I would reccomend, if I were speaking to you
"person to person."

Air Conditioner:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3966,00.html

Furnace:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3736,00.html

System:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3655,00.html

Thermostat:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID3835,00.html

Read the brochu
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...038-012904.pdf

Zoning:
http://www.arzelzoning.com/

Want help?
Call a Factory Authorized Dealer in your area:
http://www.residential.carrier.com/r...ID4032,00.html

good luck!