Roy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:06:28 GMT, Bonehenge
wrote:

===On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:10:47 -0400, "S. M. Henning"
===wrote:
===
===
=== Have you ever heard of a hydrostatic transmission? Many better mowers
=== have them. They vary the ground speed hydraulically and are extremely
=== dependable.
===
===Yes, but hydrostatic transmissions are not automatic transmissions.
===They are manual infinitely variable transmissions. Automatic
===transmissions shift automatically with the load, not with a lever. The
===automatic transmissions are belt driven on cone pulleys. My Kawasaki
===Mule has an automatic transmission, not a hydrostatic transmission.
===
===Right! But why would anyone want one of those when they can have a
===hydrostatic drive? There are an awful lot of hydrostatic drive
===mowers on the market.
===
===Barry

For one reason a hydrostatic drive is much more smoother, and it does
adjust itself automatically according toload on a lot of models, but
its by applying more pressure, and no difference in shifting is felt
as it does not shift, it just applies more pressure for more torque
when needed. Put it in drive and go and forget about everything else.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.