HA HA Budys Here

From: TN

I am in the process of building a 3000 SQFT house that my builder
spec'ed for two zone heat. He called my yesterday and said after he met
with his mechanicals subcontractor that two zones were probably not
enough since the room over the mudroom and the room over garage were (I
guess) to far away from the furnace to be efficiently heated. He was
suggesting we add a heat pump for those two rooms (with AC of course).
We live in Northeast and I am worried this would be terribly expensive
solution. I questioned him about adding a third zone and he said he'd
get back to me after talking to the sub again. Does a heat pump make
sense? I don't understand why a third zone couldn't be added fairly
easily. Is this a cost issue? Wouldn't a larger BTU furnace do the
job? Our contract specified two zone heat, is this something I should
have to pay extra for or would this be his cost.
Thanks in adavance for any advice you have.

There are plenty of options. Unless you're getting cheap hydropower, don't even
think about going with a heat pump in the Northeast. Energy-wise it's about as
bad as electric heat, and even worse after you factor in the equipment cost,
the installation cost, and the maintainence cost.