HRL

"The Amazing Exploding Arab" wrote in message
I had a new roof put on my rancher in December, but after a heavy rain
I occasionally see a small pool of water in my basement next to the
chimney. It's nothing that a paper towel or two can't sop up, but I'm
still concerned that the leak might cause wood rot on the way
down...if it hasn't done so already. I bought the house last
September and noticed bigger pools of water before I had the roof
done, so at least it appears the new roof helped somewhat in this
area. The roofers came out before to fix it, but it looks like it's
still happening. (it looks like it's trickling down the OTHER side of
the chimney now, so they might have only fixed one side)

Anyone have any suggestions what it might be, or how to fix it? Is
this something I'd be better calling a chimney repair guy on?

I have something similar except it is a fireplace chimney. One side of the
fireplace is plugged at the top yet water comes down from the interior after
rather heavy rain. The roof is a rather new Gerard stone covered steel and
very well sealed along the chimney line. Since it is getting to the inside
of the chimney I think the mortar is porous. I have been considering
spraying the outside of the chimney with a water repellant such as
Thompson's. Concrete care sealer.