Jeff Wisnia

Phil wrote:

Hi,

I would like to install a ceiling fan. There is a small light where I
would like to put it. Can I use the same fixture or does it require
something more sturdy? How do I recognise this? I have access to the
attic if need be.

Get up there and take a look.

The instructions which come with new fans should tell you what proper
types of box support look like.

If the present box is just tacked onto a ceiling joist on one side, or
nailed onto a piece of strapping between the joists you'll probably have
to install better bracing for a safe installation. They sell
adjustustable steel brackets for that purpose.

Better to be safe than sorry, do it right the first time.

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"