willshak

John wrote:

"SVTKate" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Jim" wrote in message
**snip**
| Sometimes you've just got to be in the right place at the right
| time..

Mark THAT a bargain!
Kate

| Regards,
|
| Jim

Hello group,
Been reading everyones posts about the driving tractor mowers. We are
building a house in the country with a huge front lawn(not our idea, it's
required by the community), and we are trying to decide how to handle it
(lawn service or mower) After reading some posts regarding these things
having "automatic transmissions" and how they make the job easier, I am
curious..I am sure they don't have transmission like a car which shifts
gears and such, but was wondering how they work? Can you slow down, stop
and go without having to disengage the gears and such? My guess is a
standard one with a clutch you would be clutching and going to get around
flowerbeds and such...Seems the auto is the way to go if your gonna have
one..But just curious as to how they actually work...

Thanks so much!
John

I don't know how the others work, but my previously mentioned
Agway/Murray garden tractor has a Hydrostatic Automatic drive.
It has a throttle handle on the dash that stays in whatever position it
is set. An L shaped rocker type foot pedal on the right operates the
mower's speed either forward or in reverse. Push more, faster. Push
less, slower. It does not have cruise control, so the foot has to be
kept on the pedal when moving, like a car. The mower engine speed is not
affected by the foot pedal. The engine's rpm stays at whatever the
throttle is set at, no matter what the foot pedal position is. When
going down hill, lifting the foot from the foot pedal causes the mower
to go into a sort of braking mode, so the mower does not freewheel down
the grade.
There is no shifting of the mower transmission that I can hear. A brake
pedal is on the left side.