pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show (Jason
D.) wrote back on Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:54:08 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking
:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:59:49 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

This kit will embody the entire philosophy of your working relationship. If
you do this wrong, he will be scarred for life and every job he works on
will be colored by your choices.

That said: Allen wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench and a 10 oz. ball-peen
hammer. But the most important tool: A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

Hi,

Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Lists to make: who, what and where. break times, locations of tools,
etc. (Of course, I am the sort who has to write it down, or I'll forget.
I may never again look at the notes, but "non scriptum, non est".)
Somewhere in that notebook is a page for "scribbling", especially job
numbers. "Where's the stuff for this Job?" isn't much different than
walking up to the metropolitan bus terminal and asking "What time does the
bus leave?" Write it down, then you are less likely to have to come back
wondering "was that 6061 or 6160?" Or worse, discover after the fact that
you got the wrong stock.

Write down setups. Tools needed (what size wrench, etc) Feeds, speeds,
tooling, "tricks of the trade", and the `howdoyas' ("How do you ...") Use
sketches. This doesn't have to be "art" just clear enough bring it back to
mind.

OF course, this presumes that the note-taker is "literate". I've known
some folks who couldn't write for spit. Read, yes, but their writing
skills were minimal.

tschus
pyotr

Cheers,