bill wrote:

Don Ocean and and PJM are also invited to answer this hvac science and
engineering question. Please compare the drying rate to an outdoor
clothesline and include the effects of condensation, if anticipated.

For the sake of definiteness, if Greg wants to remove 12 pounds of water
from 12 pounds of clothes with 400 ft^2 of surface (both sides) in minimal
time in full sun in August in Key Largo, when it's 84 F and w = 0.0185,
using a 16'x16' R1 greenhouse with 90% solar transmission, how many cfm
of outdoor air should flow through the greenhouse?

Just what makes you think sci.engr.heat-vent-ac is interested or the
appropriate place to discuss clothes drying?

Where ELSE would we discuss this question? :-)

It's a matter of basic HVAC science and engineering. Chapter 28 of the
ASHRAE Applications handbook is all about drying, drying times, and so on.
The SCI.ENGR.heat-vent-ac group should eagerly welcome such basic questions.

...There isn't a single mention of clothes or dryer in the 2000 version.
And as far as I can tell. Except for venting of a clothes dryer, there
is absolutely nothing on "drying, drying times, and so on" of clothes in
ASHRAE books anywhere.

My 1991 Applications book has drying hygrometry and drying time calcs
on pages 28.1 and 28.2...

Care to explain that?

Chapter 28 applies to all kinds of drying, as we can see from some of
the references, eg

Bell, J. R., and P. Grosberg. 1962. The movement of vapor and moisture
during the falling rate period of drying of thick textile materials.
Journal of the Textile Institute, Transactions 53(5):T250; ABIPC 33: 72, and

Nissan, AH. 1968. Drying of sheet materials. Textile Research Journal 38:447.

Now then, got any answers?

Nick