Bob Mannix

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...

Ziggur wrote:
Nope! The requirement is for "Safety Glass". Could be 4mm Toughened or
Laminated.

Go read the regs carefully.

6mm is suitable for panes of limited size.

In detail panes less than 250mm wide beween glazing beads (and with an area
not exceeding 0.5m^2 but you never usually reach that) can be of 6mm
annealed glass.

Above this size, safety glass is only required in windows where the glass is
below 800mm from the floor and, in doors, where it is below 1500mm from the
floor.

I believe "outbuildings" are not covered by these regulations - at least I
was able to buy a ~1m square sheet of 6mm for my old garage. I should say
this replaced a sheet of 3-4mm glass which my son had sent a football
through. I'm not a particularly nervous or sensationalist type when it
comes to safety but, had I been stood at my workbench at the time I would
have been hospitalized given the huge area of the garage that was filled
with medium size shards of razor sharp glass. The 6mm probably wouldn't have
broken anyway and the weight of the glass would have limited the danger
area - I feel a lot happier behind the 6mm!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)