Mark D. Zacharias

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
news:InP%c.270779$8_6.166464@attbi_s04...
Back in business. A resistor that seems to be for supplying startup
18-volt
power to the horizontal output stage was burned open. Burned beyond
recognition. Actual circuit had a diode in series with the resistor in
what
appears to be a factory modification. Sams schematic showed only a 470
ohm
resistor. Zenith schematic showed only a diode. Took a wild shot and put
in a 120 ohm resistor in series with diode. OK now.

Often when I'm in this situation, I'll put in a flameproof resistor chosen
to be dissipating, say, 1/10 watt for a 1/2 watt resistor. Any serious
malfunction will take out the resistor safely. If the resistor is feeding a
voltage regulator, this can be tricky though - the regulator will have to
dissipate more power if the resistor value is too low.
Actually, the same would apply to the load circuit if the voltage is
unregulated. Hmmm.

Mark Z.