Silver Surfer

Default No picture

My Zenith Model SG2037W has lost its picture. Sound is fine. Don't see any
glow from the neck of the picture tube. There is a burn mark on one of the
wires leading to the circuit board mounted to the neck of the picture tube.
The burn is evidently because the wire was lying against the high voltage
lead which has a corresponding burn mark. Does anyone have a schematic of
this set they could lend me?

Silver Surfer

Where would you recommend that I buy a service manual for this set?

Sams has the paper type as well as a downloadable file. Do you have any
trouble working from the electronic manuals? When they are printed are they
equivalent to the original paper documents?

[...]

James Sweet

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but what does EHT stand for? I
think I know that HOT stands for horizontal output transistor, but EHT has
me stumped. Thanks.

EHT = extremely high tension, high voltage, HV, etc. You said the set is a
Zenith though which immediately says don't spend too much time/effort on the
thing. Is this one of the direct view sets that usually gets a bad CRT?

Silver Surfer

Well, the reason I'm fooling with this set is that it has become a challenge
for me. Up to now it has given excellent service. Bought it back in '91
for the bedroom so I would have something to occupy my time while recovering
from old fashioned type gall bladder surgery.

I'm retired now, so there is time available to work on this beast. It might
whip me, but not without a good fight.

Trouble is I'm an amateur tinkerer; however, I do know that the pros hang
out on this board and are an enormous help to "shade tree" technicians like
me. Thank goodness there are people like you out there who are willing to
share their considerable knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message
Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but what does EHT stand for? I
think I know that HOT stands for horizontal output transistor, but EHT

has
me stumped. Thanks.

EHT = extremely high tension, high voltage, HV, etc. You said the set is a
Zenith though which immediately says don't spend too much time/effort on

the
thing. Is this one of the direct view sets that usually gets a bad CRT?

James Sweet

Well, the reason I'm fooling with this set is that it has become a

challenge
for me. Up to now it has given excellent service. Bought it back in '91
for the bedroom so I would have something to occupy my time while

recovering
from old fashioned type gall bladder surgery.

I'm retired now, so there is time available to work on this beast. It

might
whip me, but not without a good fight.

Trouble is I'm an amateur tinkerer; however, I do know that the pros hang
out on this board and are an enormous help to "shade tree" technicians

like
me. Thank goodness there are people like you out there who are willing to
share their considerable knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

If it's a 25" it's entirely possible the CRT has shorted and taken something
else out, guess it won't hurt to fiddle with it if you want though, just
beware dumping money into parts that may blow up in short order.

Silver Surfer

This is a 20" TV. Don't know if its CRT is vulnerable to the shorting
problem you mentioned or not.

It appears that the filament(s) is(are) not open; however with the socket
off the tube there is continuity from the filament (pins 9? and 10?) to pin
12. Doesn't look like pin 12 does much. Not sure why there is continuity
there.

[...]

Silver Surfer

Back in business. A resistor that seems to be for supplying startup 18-volt
power to the horizontal output stage was burned open. Burned beyond
recognition. Actual circuit had a diode in series with the resistor in what
appears to be a factory modification. Sams schematic showed only a 470 ohm
resistor. Zenith schematic showed only a diode. Took a wild shot and put
in a 120 ohm resistor in series with diode. OK now.

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Back in business. A resistor that seems to be for supplying startup
18-volt
power to the horizontal output stage was burned open. Burned beyond
recognition. Actual circuit had a diode in series with the resistor in
what
appears to be a factory modification. Sams schematic showed only a 470
ohm
resistor. Zenith schematic showed only a diode. Took a wild shot and put
in a 120 ohm resistor in series with diode. OK now.

Often when I'm in this situation, I'll put in a flameproof resistor chosen
to be dissipating, say, 1/10 watt for a 1/2 watt resistor. Any serious
malfunction will take out the resistor safely. If the resistor is feeding a
voltage regulator, this can be tricky though - the regulator will have to
dissipate more power if the resistor value is too low.
Actually, the same would apply to the load circuit if the voltage is
unregulated. Hmmm.

Mark Z.