Phil

Larry Blanchard wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

The only mitigating comment here is that I remember my dad and
grandfathers complaining about the lousy quality of new [farm machinery,
cars, guns, tools] as well -- back in the 1960's.

True. But Goodell & Pratt got bought out back in the '30s, IIRC :-).

If it says "Disston & Son(s)", "Goodell Brothers", "Goodell & Pratt", or
"Stanley Rule & Level", it's a good (hand) tool.

Oops, almost forgot "Goodell Mfg", the 3rd brother.

I'm sure there were many others, but those are ones I've actually got.

Just gotta jump in--
Since this is "rec" woodworking-- I may have to assume (I Know what it
stands for) that yall are a bunch of recreational & some professional
woodworkers. IF you use a tool all day long, it must bear up to
professional standards. However if you only use a tool from time to
time & have the TIME to tweak it to your standards, a less
professional (read poorly made or crappy tool) may suffice.
On the other hand, if time is not on your hands & money is, the better
tool (there are MANY discussions of what is better appear in this
forum) may be what you need and have to look for. With that said::

I think the there are poor, good and better tools out there-- some
GREAT tools out there. Face it, tool manufacturers are in it for the
$ or lira or pounds etc. If they can get by on a name for awhile (&
screw a few people) they will do it. (Doesn't make it right, just a
simple fact)
If you are a homeowner who will use a drill once every other month,
why buy the topoftheline??? Actually I have a few BIG LOTS tools
(real cheap, most likely remanufactured in Lower Slabovia) that I have
used once & will be happy if they ever work again & have gotten my
money's worth.
A last note-- Times change & almost everything of quality will
increase in price. Even free time.
JMO
Phil