davexnet02

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:34:41 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:
This is Turtle

Nothing is for sure in this world, but the grinding is the compressor tring to
start and being help started by the capasitor. Without the help of the capasitor
it will not start. Now it can be a bad compressor too and a new capsitor will
not help.

The compressor will act like starting a car on a weak battery when the capsitor
is weak or bad. Like I said before it is Capsitor , Need a hard start Kit, or
Bad Compressor.

Here is your proceedure :

1 Make sure pressure of system is balanced
2 Cool off compressor to ambiant temp.
3 Change capasitor out
4 Make sure you have good 220 volt service
5 if it had a hard start kit on it change it out
6 crank it up and if it humms and fail to crank --- change compressor or
condenser unit out.

50% of the time it is the capsitor and 50% of the time it is the compressor.
Your odds are 50/50 on it being the capasitor. How's your luck been running
lately ?

TURTLE

Hi Turtle/HVACtech2
I got it running again (for now) but admittedly, the unit is noisy,
and I don't think it's particulary healthy over all.

I noticed that the purple wire at the capacitor HERM connection
was discolored and showed signs of burning. I cut back the wire,
bought a new spade connector from Radio Shack, slapped it on
and I'm in business again. However, the compresor didn't start the
first time, so your old car analogy is pretty good.

No hard start kit, nor any optional extra's that I can see,
in particular the item that delays the restart for 5 minutes.
If I have to get a new compressor eventually, I'll go for that
one.

It's been really hot in Los Angeles last few days, so a bit of relief
today at least.

Cheers,
Dave