davexnet02

Default Help with Rheem A/C

(transferred from alt.hvac)

Hello all,
looking for some advice. I've got a Rheem compressor
in my backyard, model # RAFD-042JBS. According to the
label, manufactured in 1988.
It failed to work today, the big fan comes on, but the compressor
makes a grinding sound for a few seconds, stops, and repeats the
grinding noise at about 2 minute intervals.

I lifted off the fan, and the compressor was very hot,
however, no sign of any cooling taking place.

I'm trying to figure out, based on this this units age and
symptoms, whether it can be reliably repaired, or perhaps a whole
new unit is advisable.

Thanks,
Dave
SQLit

"davexnet02" wrote in message
(transferred from alt.hvac)

Hello all,
looking for some advice. I've got a Rheem compressor
in my backyard, model # RAFD-042JBS. According to the
label, manufactured in 1988.
It failed to work today, the big fan comes on, but the compressor
makes a grinding sound for a few seconds, stops, and repeats the
grinding noise at about 2 minute intervals.

I lifted off the fan, and the compressor was very hot,
however, no sign of any cooling taking place.

I'm trying to figure out, based on this this units age and
symptoms, whether it can be reliably repaired, or perhaps a whole
new unit is advisable.

Thanks,
Dave

Depending on how long your planning to stay there you have a couple of
options.
If you going to be in the home more than 5 years then look into an new unit.
If not fix it.

---

davexnet02

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:32:59 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"davexnet02" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well surely it depends on the price of the repair.
I pulled out the dual capacitor and found evidence of overheating
at the connector marked HERM (what ever that is)
This is the part, according to the website it's approx $155.
http://www.expertappliance.com/rheem-dual-capacitor.gif

This is supposed to be the original equipment, however the one
I have looks slightly different and it's made by JARD.

I could buy this, but how do I know this is the faulty part?
Perhaps the compressor is bad.

Dave

Steve B.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:15:58 GMT, davexnet02
wrote:
I pulled out the dual capacitor and found evidence of overheating
at the connector marked HERM (what ever that is)
This is the part, according to the website it's approx $155.
http://www.expertappliance.com/rheem-dual-capacitor.gif

That part might run you $50 on the very high side but not $155.
Since you don't have the ability to test the cap or compressor it
would probably be prudent to call out a HVAC guy and have it checked
out.

Steve B.
TURTLE

wrote:

[...]

This is Turtle.

Dave , We as hvac service company replace these capasitors Total cost $100.00 to
$150.00 and install it and warrant it for a year. I sell them at about $40.00 to
$60.00 with my mark up in them. $155.00 for a JARD dual capasitor , awwwwww What
did you say to that fellow to **** him off that bad to want $155.00 for it. Is
he your ex brother in law of something.

OR Call Grainger or go to www.grainer.com and get you one.

If you can post the data or e-mail me the data off the side of the capasitor and
i can see what you got and hook you up with one from the suppliers on the net to
get you one.

Or Got to http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sea...ults.jsp?xi=xi

TURTLE

HvacTech2

Hi davexnet02, hope you are having a nice day

On 08-Sep-04 At About 00:59:54, davexnet02 wrote to All
Subject: Help with Rheem A/C

d From: davexnet02

d On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:48:12 -0500, "TURTLE"
d wrote:

d get you one. But what if the part is OK and the compresor is
d stuck? There is the sound of grinding for a few seconds, then it
d stops for a couple of minutes and then repeats, again for a few
d seconds. Isn't this the compressor trying to start, and then the
d safety systems cutting it out? Or could this capacitor still be to
d blame?

There is no way to tell from a keyboard. the only way is to call a local
company to check it for you.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex?

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
davexnet02

wrote:

This is Turtle.

Dave , We as hvac service company replace these capasitors Total cost $100.00 to
$150.00 and install it and warrant it for a year. I sell them at about $40.00 to
$60.00 with my mark up in them. $155.00 for a JARD dual capasitor , awwwwww What
did you say to that fellow to **** him off that bad to want $155.00 for it. Is
he your ex brother in law of something.

Hi Turtle - haha that's funny. No, I used the parts finder he
http://www.expertappliance.com/rheem-ac.html
In the first box selected capacitor dual.
And in the second, entered the model number, rafd-042jbs

The original part that came up was $155 - must admit, seemed a liitle
steep to me too.

OR Call Grainger or go to www.grainer.com and get you one.

If you can post the data or e-mail me the data off the side of the capasitor and
i can see what you got and hook you up with one from the suppliers on the net to
get you one.

But what if the part is OK and the compresor is stuck?
There is the sound of grinding for a few seconds, then it stops for
a couple of minutes and then repeats, again for a few seconds.
Isn't this the compressor trying to start, and then the safety systems
cutting it out? Or could this capacitor still be to blame?

Or Got to http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sea...ults.jsp?xi=xi

TURTLE

TURTLE

wrote:

[...]

This is Turtle

Nothing is for sure in this world, but the grinding is the compressor tring to
start and being help started by the capasitor. Without the help of the capasitor
it will not start. Now it can be a bad compressor too and a new capsitor will
not help.

The compressor will act like starting a car on a weak battery when the capsitor
is weak or bad. Like I said before it is Capsitor , Need a hard start Kit, or
Bad Compressor.

Here is your proceedure :

1 Make sure pressure of system is balanced
2 Cool off compressor to ambiant temp.
3 Change capasitor out
4 Make sure you have good 220 volt service
5 if it had a hard start kit on it change it out
6 crank it up and if it humms and fail to crank --- change compressor or
condenser unit out.

50% of the time it is the capsitor and 50% of the time it is the compressor.
Your odds are 50/50 on it being the capasitor. How's your luck been running
lately ?

TURTLE

davexnet02

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:34:41 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:
[...]

Hi Turtle/HVACtech2
I got it running again (for now) but admittedly, the unit is noisy,
and I don't think it's particulary healthy over all.

I noticed that the purple wire at the capacitor HERM connection
was discolored and showed signs of burning. I cut back the wire,
bought a new spade connector from Radio Shack, slapped it on
and I'm in business again. However, the compresor didn't start the
first time, so your old car analogy is pretty good.

No hard start kit, nor any optional extra's that I can see,
in particular the item that delays the restart for 5 minutes.
If I have to get a new compressor eventually, I'll go for that
one.

It's been really hot in Los Angeles last few days, so a bit of relief
today at least.

Cheers,
Dave

TURTLE

wrote:
[...]

Dave go down to any Appliance Parts supply houses and get you a SPP-5 by Supco
with just 2 wires on it and jump across the common to the herm terminal and stop
all the failures to start with. Also it has the instruction on the package to do
this. For $20.00 to $25.00 so you can stop all these failures and be done with
it.

I can detail it out if you like for you.

TURTLE

davexnet02

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 00:21:21 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:
This is Turtle

Dave go down to any Appliance Parts supply houses and get you a SPP-5 by Supco
with just 2 wires on it and jump across the common to the herm terminal and stop
all the failures to start with. Also it has the instruction on the package to do
this. For $20.00 to $25.00 so you can stop all these failures and be done with
it.

I can detail it out if you like for you.

TURTLE

Turtle, thanks for recommending a part.
I'll look for it first, and if I can't find it I'll get it mail
order.
Cheers,
Dave

davexnet02

wrote:
This is Turtle

Dave go down to any Appliance Parts supply houses and get you a SPP-5 by Supco
with just 2 wires on it and jump across the common to the herm terminal and stop
all the failures to start with. Also it has the instruction on the package to do
this. For $20.00 to $25.00 so you can stop all these failures and be done with
it.

I can detail it out if you like for you.

TURTLE

Turtle, thanks for recommending a part.
I'll look for it first, and if I can't find it I'll get it mail
order.
Cheers,
Dave

Received the item mailorder yesterday, had the unit running within 15
minutes. Thanks Turtle.

Dave

Trane vs. Rheem lindy Home Repair 8 April 28th 04 07:11 AM
Rheem 80 plus furnace blowing cold air Kam Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 06:20 AM
Rheem vs.Ruud lindy Home Repair 9 March 30th 04 02:52 AM
Is there fuse/reset switch on Rheem air handelers? [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 8th 03 11:48 PM