G&M

"Mark Begbie" wrote in message
om...
"G&M" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
Looking through this group. It seems there is always someone asking
about combi boilers and more......

Someone said that I need to get building regs invovled if I'm
replacing my current hot water tank and boiler

If this really needed ?

Afraid so. New installations must meet part L requirements for heat
conservation.

Also gas and oil boilers are controlled items anyway and so have always

been
under BCO control.

I am in a similar position myself at the moment, scoping out a new
combi system for self install. From what I have read about the
building regs, my understanding is that they basically mean:

o TRVs for all but one rad / room

No - this is what many BCOs assume it means but it is not the case. In fact
the sooner TRVs go the way of dinosaurs the better. A programmable stat for
the living rooms and another for the bedrooms with temperature varying
during the day is FAR more efficient.

o Roomstat in the final location to switch boiler on and off and
minimise short cycling

Yes. But more than one roomstat is better.

o Boiler has to meet minimum efficiency value

Yes - and this minimum goes up next April.

Is there anything else "significant" in there?

Tank must be insulated.

Pipes 'outside the structure' must be insulated (this included the porch or
understairs if the system is in these as neither are habitable room)

Next year there will be a limit on the temperature at which hot water can be
dispensed (in a bath or all - not sure)