Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:13:12 -0400, brocpuffs
wrote:

Hi fellas,

I am "in" the rec.guns NG and a new topic has emerged, one we all
know.

To wit: the poor quality of new stuff, fresh from the manufacturer or
whoever makes it for the manufacturer (which helps absolve the
manufacturer from having to do repairs on shoddy stuff)
.
I think we have more of that problem in woodworking, but it exists in
other universes too :-)

James

The only mitigating comment here is that I remember my dad and
grandfathers complaining about the lousy quality of new [farm machinery,
cars, guns, tools] as well -- back in the 1960's. While there are declines
in some brands, there seem to be other brands that rise to capture niche
markets for those who appreciate quality -- witness the businesses like
Lee Valley, Steve Knight, Ed Bennett, Horton Brass, McFeeley's, and other
similar businesses who, though smaller than the megalithic conglomerates,
have carved out a niche in the market and are appreciated by that niche.