Don Foreman

Don't know about books, but datasheets on the Luxeon's are available
for download. The one I'm using is at
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/protected/DS25.PDF

There are also 3-watt and 5-watt versions.

http://www.lumileds.com/docs.cfm?docType=3

Jerry and I each made pretty awesome flashlights with 3-watt white
Luxeons.

I prefer to buy the bare emitters rather than the "stars" and machine
(METAL CONTENT) little studs that I epoxy them to with Omegabond
epoxy. I can get them further into a reflector that way.

Osram also offers some bright LED's. Digi-Key even carries them.
They're not as bright as the Luxeons, but a couple of them are close.

These LED's are really fun to play with!

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:32:05 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Nice report, Don! Thanx. Do you know if the manufacturers have data books
out yet on the new hi-power leds?

Bob Swinney
"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
Update:

I found some small trailer marker lights at Northern Tool for about 2
bux. I bought one to cut apart for the lens. The Luxeons I bought
are Lambertian emitters. Their radiation pattern is more like a
small filament bulb than a conventional LED. I therefore thought
perhaps a lens devised for use with a small filament bulb might work
well.

It does.

The red Luxeon behind that lens is noticable even in direct sunlight.

I tried it tonight with two 60-watt patio lights and two 100-watt PAR
floods illuminating the backyard to provide some competition like
citylight in Brooklyn will provide. I walked back 100 feet to check
it out from there.

Uh...wow. I think this dog will hunt.

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 01:48:36 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Making some bike lights for my daughter who rides her bicycle in
traffic in Brooklyn NY.