Joe Fleming

Linear space could be a consideration. The Stubby needs about 4 ft of
running space and a couple of more "available" when you want to extend
the bed. The Oneway will take 8 to 10 ft if you buy one of the two
the outboard attachments and allow for standing space on the outboard
end. The Vicmarc 300 longbed allow for 50" between centers, plus,
with its outboard attachment, you need a bunch of linear ft also.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

David Wade wrote in message ...
Ray Sandusky wrote:
Bud the One Way is Proprietary - 33mm spindle - so you have to buy only One
Way gear to fit the machine,

Ray, I respectfully disagree. M33 - 3.5 is the metric standard, not a
proprietary decision. I have had no problems getting chucks to fit (I
use both Oneway and Vicmarc chucks) and have a selection of faceplates
from three different suppliers. The only issue is what Ms. Drozda wrote
about, interchanging chucks and faceplates between machines.
Nevertheless, for a small fee you can purchase spindle adapters that
allow easy cross overs and make it a small issue. Our club lathe is 1
1/4 - 8 and for a demo I will sometimes mount and rough it on that size
of faceplate. The adapter runs rock solid. I plan to add a mini-lathe
to my collection soon and foresee no problem working with different
spindle sizes. However, if you have only one lathe, it is an absolute
non-issue.

Also if you want to get in
front ont he work on a One Way you have to climb aboard wit h the Stubby,
you just move the bed out of the way - pretty easy

I find this a non-issue also. The lathe has both outboard capability and
reverse. If you wish, and with about five minutes of thought the first
time, you can turn most easily on the opposite side. The geometry is all
the same and sometimes ergonomically preferable, at least for me.

To respond to another's comment about the availability of factory
service. Oneways are made in Ontario, Canada. Bud, how close is that to
the time zone you live in compared to Australia?

Again, all the top tier lathes are fine machines and will allow you to
do just about anything you want. Find the one that fits you.

David