George

Oddly, greater rigidity is touted as one of the advantages of the steel
lathe over iron. I guess it's a bit more of the grinding controversy all
over again.

Though with stands almost universally cheesier than the lathe, I'm betting
it's the stand that makes the difference.

"cindy drozda" wrote in message

I'm curious that no one responding to this post has said anything about
the "welded vs. cast" question. The Stubby is a cast iron/steel machine,
and the OneWay is welded up from tubing and plate. I have never used a
OneWay myself, but have heard a number of pro turners say that they don't
like to turn for long periods of time on the OneWay because of the
harmonic vibration in the weldments. Supposedly cast iron is better at
dampening vibration.