cindy drozda

I'm curious that no one responding to this post has said anything about
the "welded vs. cast" question. The Stubby is a cast iron/steel machine,
and the OneWay is welded up from tubing and plate. I have never used a
OneWay myself, but have heard a number of pro turners say that they don't
like to turn for long periods of time on the OneWay because of the
harmonic vibration in the weldments. Supposedly cast iron is better at
dampening vibration. I bought a Stubby when looking for another lathe to
supplement my Vicmarc VL200. The decision between Stubby and OneWay went
to Stubby mainly because of the spindle thread size. I wanted all of my
chucks and things to fit both machines. If OneWay starts making a 1 1/4 x
8 spindle option (maybe they already do?), I think they will sell more of
them. Another thing about the Stubby was/is that it's versatility is
really usable. Unlike lots of "convertable" machines I have seen
(jointer/planer/tablesaws, etc), the Stubby's bed moves around as easily
as a tool rest, and locks in place solidly. While I can't compare it to
the OneWay, I can give the Stubby a vote of confidence. You can come over
and try out mine if you want....being able to put it through its paces
before buying was one of the things that sold me on it.

CD
boulder,co