Gerald Ross

Default Bowl boiling heresy

The following is for mature audiences only.

A week and a half ago I rescued some "road kill" wood from a road
widening project. I cut the logs to length, cut a generous pith section
from the center and sealed the ends with Woodcraft end sealer.
10 days ago I rough turned 6 dogwood bowls and 3 red cedar bowls to
approx. 3/4 in. thickness and boiled them for 1 hour after the boiling
started.
After boiling I left them out to drip dry for a couple of days before
bagging. The next day 3 of the dogwood bowls had developed cracks of 1/4
to 1/2 inch. The second day after boiling another had cracks and one of
the cedar bowls also was cracking.
I panicked and sealed the end grain of all 9 bowls, inside and out. The
cracks have not enlarged and no new cracks so far. That day I turned
more bowls and promptly sealed the end grain and did not boil. These
were 4 dogwood, two cedar and two poplar. After a week none are cracking.
Five cracked bowls would be insignificant to a production turner, but to
me with only a couple of dozen bowls a year, 50% cracks is significant.
Another problem I have been having with boiled bowls is mold growth,
including the first dogwood bowls of this series. None so far on the
last batch.
Maybe I need to import 50 gal. of that Texas water.
I have been boiling bowls for a couple of years with an occasional crack
and a lot of mold. Perhaps I'll try the sealing for a while.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"