JVC Dude

check your Email
AW

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Which 2 or 3 small screws are you referring to? I have the bottom off now
and it pretty much looks like the pics he

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/mbk-42.htm

Thanks!

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

Ok I've just researched the HRS8000. we never had that here. Its the
same mech as our HRD530 but with SVHS from 1988 ish
Forget the stuff about the sensors, thats on much more modern stuff
like our HRS7000/8600 the nearest model numbers.
Unplug it, take the bottom off, and carefully tighten the 2 or 3 small
screws fastening the green pcb's onto the bottom of the mech, it will
probably be a loose one causing a bad earth. and perhaps your
symptoms. If not then you could have numerous other things like a
shorting pole on the capstan motor etc.

Also as reported by Mark, the membrane switches can be troublesome,
but usually just inactive buttons. they gave most trouble when juices
were spilt into them!
Since this mech was used in Fergusons-UK (don't know what brand US
have for that- Thomson?) and Toshibas there should be many time served
VCR tech out there with experience so it doesn't have to be a JVC
seervice centre necessarily.
Hope this helps
AW

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
I didn't realize you were in Europe but from what you're saying, it
seems like it doesn't really need any parts replaced but rather just
labor. There is a place locally that charges $US35 + labor but I know
they are

n't
factory authorized and I wonder if being factory authorized will make
a difference or not. Where exactly is the right hand sensor located
or what does it look like?

Since you might be familar with this, I had a Mitsubishi HS-U70 SVHS
VCR that failed a few years back and it had like missing audio as
well as missing color and the problem seemed to have been bad
capacitors but when

shipped the thing to be repaired, it was fixed but shipping caused
the Control Audio Head to not be aligned and the guy I think
readjusted it.

It
will play any tapes it records but when I take the tape to the JVC
HR- S8000U, it will only show scrolling black & white with distorted
audio and also, any tape that the Mitsubishi recorded on can't be
re-recorded with the JVC, is this just a alignment problem as the guy
that fixed it didn't have the factory jig for proper alignment.

Cheers,
Vince

"JVC Dude" wrote in
:

I would suspect that the soldering under the right hand sensor may
be dry jointed .
If you aren't familiar with repairing equipment then don't try to
cure this yourself, since it involves stripping the deck out, then
removing the main board (although some models access from
underneath may be possible.) Its not easy!! Also the mains psu
capacitor can retain approx 380Volts- just waiting to shake hands
with anyone who doesn't know wheres safe and wheres not!

Your supposition is correct re the FF button it would FF when
turned on or if 2 buttons are effectively pressed, then other odd
symptoms may occur.

Remember as I said these units are very sensitive to light. There
was a mod to cover the right sensor (a slim 2" black LED type of
thing standing centre right of the mechanism)- its use is primarily
to detect if the tape is at the beginning and then shuttle forward
off it.

As to what you should pay, I would think £30-£40 to cover an hours
time would be typical- however it may not be this sensor and only
an engineer with the top off, probing around could really correctly
diagnose this.

Andrew

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
This VCR doesn't have a jog wheel. If if was the FF button then
wouldn't it FF even in the stop position?

Cheers,
Vince

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

Sounds to me like the FF button or jog wheel may have a problem.
Seen things like this before.

Mark Z.

"Vincent Poy" wrote in message
.154...
Vincent Poy wrote in
. 154:

"JVC dude" wrote in
:

Hi Vincent,
Is there a lot of light getting in through the top/side?
these decks have optic sensors and can be tripped into doing
strange modes with light otherwise sounds like a faulty
switch contact or something similar. when you say play
button do you mean on the set or the remote. ~Its possible
the remote if someting was spilt into it may do that. if its
not related to the remote then there may be a faulty switch
on the front panel. its certainly not a common problem. I
presume you've unplugged and plugged in again to reset the
machine!

Other possible causes, dirty mode switch contacts, or
poss a capstan motor control fault , but that would be very
rare. its more likely to be one of the above.

hope this helps
AW

Hi AW:

Right now, there has to be a lot of light as I was trying to
see if things are working with the cover off but originally,
the cover was on when the problem happened. What is weird is
that randomly, it will decide to play a tape correctly. As
for the play button, I'm talking about the button on the
front panel and not the remote as I haven't used my remote in
a few years. I've already did the plug/unplug a few times
just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm just trying to
figure out will this be a expensive repair since I see a lot
of repairers that aren't factory authorized but don't most
problems need a service manual or will equipment tell them
what is wrong? Since it seems lots of places have a fixed
labor rate but then you have to pay for parts and I hope they
don't randomly change out parts.

Cheers,
Vince

I just put the cover back on and the first play of the tape
plays normally but then the next play, it does the same Play +
Fast Forward mode again.

Cheers,
Vince