Joe Fleming

Edward,

It is a wrong statement to recommend that you should get the Oneway if
you are going to do spindles. The Stubby with the short bed
configuration can do around 30+". If you get the Stubby with the
standard bed, you can turn close to 40". The Oneway is good for 36".

Most of the lathes that John Jordan has sold and Bill Rubenstein will
sell use the short bed. A number of people do that the longer
standard bed. For what it is worth, I've made an adapter that lets me
place the auxillary bed of the Stubby in line with the main bed to get
me more than 40" of spindle length.

I turned on a Oneway, a Vicmarc and a Stubby before buying. In my
opinion, the Stubby offers the most value for the money. Having said
that, both the Vicmarc and the Oneway are very well built lathes, but
they lack the flexibility of the Stubby's standard configuration. I
found, for me, that the Stubby's compact footprint fit my small shop
the best, yet could perform as a longbed when needed.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

"edward tabachek" wrote in message ...
What about after sales service? Should the purchaser give any thought to
the location of their nearest dealer or the factory; for accessories,
upgrades, replacement parts etc.?
I own several lathes that are either no longer manufactured or are not
supported by a North American dealer network and obtaining
parts/service/information for these machines is becoming a PIA.
I think I would like to have the source on the same continent if not the
same country.
Edward