Rick

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message
news:M1T_c.2196$Va5.1860@trnddc01...
The go kart guys have all sorts of unique "dynos". Your eddy current one
sounds pretty cute though.

Rick

I didnt do much research on dynos before I began building mine. I did

try
to understand the "Inertia Dyno" that is used for Kart engine testing. I
would think the inertia Dyno would be hard to beat for Kart engines.
I suspect there much better versions of the eddy current dyno that the

one
I built. The only good thing I have to say about this spinning aluminum
disc it "it is easy to build and operate at home". Don Foreman actually
suggestedthis concept to me (spinning aluminum disc). It was too simple

ignore. It is really easy to control so the data is quite repeatable.

The
disc brake loads I *was* building are very difficult to make smooth. They
tend to skew the data due to pulsating effects from any small

imperfections
in the disc and/or caliper.
I doubt that anything I know about eddy current dynos would be

interesting
to anyone in the Kart business. I just sold my Kart this week.

Jerry

These guys have some neat little ones, too:

http://www.land-and-sea.com/kart-dyn...rrent-dyno.htm

All depends on what they are looking for. Inductors are reliable and used
extensively. Can't beat them for simplicity, but you can't beat a good DC
machine for versatility...