TimD

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:2f63938745bfc64876b106575b9d142a.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

DIY is not illegal, you just have to pay the council for a certificate.

Owain

This is the first time I've heard of this, is it nationwide?

Mary

And has it been tested at law?

Although it is against the law, I would have thought it highly
unlikely that you would be prosecuted.....How will the council find
out?

However the real issue will be when you come to sell your house, as
one of the questions you will be asked will be whether you have had
any alterations done and whether you have the appropriate plannings
and building permits. In my last house we had our garage converted
into a room, believing that we didn't need planning permission. When
we came to sell it was a real problem getting retrospective
permission.