Joe Wells

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:04:40 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:10:46 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Craftsman (Sears) also enjoys
a perception that their tools are the finest one can buy.

Really ? Now I'm in the wrong country to really be familiar with these
things, but my impression was always that they were about as good as Black
& Decker (i.e. not very).

The Craftsman brand really did have great tools for a long time. I still
use my grandfather's drill from the 40's. Many, many Craftsman RAS and TS
from decades past are still in service and still outperform their current
C-man kin. Their mechanic's tools are still very good.

So the perception of "Craftsman=good tools" is somewhat justified. Guys
who are just starting to put their own tools together are likely to see
quite a few Craftsman tools among his father's and grandfather's tools.
Plus professional endorsements (Hi, Bob!) and endless commercials help to
prop the image up. I've never seen DeWalt, Grizzly, Jet, Makita, General,
Laguna, etc. advertise on television. Delta commercials are uncommon.

So it can take some time (and a few less than satisfactory purchases)
before the Craftsman myth is truly revealed.

--
Joe Wells