Layne

Buying woodworking tools is like buying anything else...like shoes,
clothes, cars, etc. You're buying quality, top shelf stuff, but you're
also buying the brand name and reputation of the company too. That's
why Starret can, and rightly so, charge more for their tools.

Layne

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:02:33 -0400, Jay Pique
wrote:

I suffered with the same decision. I chose to go with Mitutoyo. I've
got one of their dial calipers and a combination square with a center
finder and protractor head. Love that protractor head.

However, if Starett wasn't so far out their price wise, I'd get that.
But for a hobbyist woodworker, it's just too much.

Heh - that's almost exactly what I said to the guy at the Starrett
booth last week. I was nice about it, and said that I'd prefer to buy
Starrett, but with Mitutoyo at half the cost it's tough to justify.
He shrugged.