Don Foreman

OK, no problem. We can sort out the elex, may not even need any.
Jerry uses a couple of Extech multimeters that interface to his PC.
Instrumentation is an Omega LCL series loadcell (0 to 20 lb), and
speed sensing is done by sensing teeth in a gearlike disc and logging
the frequency with an Extech. Excel does the math.

A dyno consists three key elements: something that produces drag,
something that senses torque and something that senses speed.
Torque could be sense with something as simple as a spring scale,
relative speed by the voltage output of a little DCPM motor. How the
drag part get done depends a lot on speed and power. For fractional
HP if speed is high enough, the simplest way is probably a larger
DCPM motor with a resistive load.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 21:21:22 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Don,

Ahh, my email and your post crossed on the wires!
Will have some specs when he gets back, until then I'm just trying to do
some basic research.
As far as skills, I can machine and weld up most anything needed, but
electronics theory is a real weak point. I can build simple circuits
from schematics but if something doesn't work, I'll probably never
figure out why by myself.

Thanks,

Jon