PJS

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Douglas Johnson wrote:

I'm just finishing out a new bathroom and my bride would like a full
mirror behind the vanity. This will require cutting a hole in the
mirror for the wall mount light. I know I can get a glass company to
make the mirror and can think of several possibilities for DIY as
well:

1) Take a new glass cutter and score a circle, then try to tap it out.
2) Drill four holes with a ceramic/glass bit, score between them, and
tap it out.
3) Drill a bunch of holes on the outline of the hole and break the
glass between them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

You will never get a scored piece of glass out cleanly, particularly if
it is not a straight line. Most likely the crack will propogate where
you dont want it (they do make it look so easy in the movies). Try a
carbide hole drill bit (they make them up to several inches in
diameter), that may just do the trick, but be careful about tearing up
the mirror coating on the back when you break through. Alternately you
could try drilling one hole with a carbide bit and then slowly saw the
hole out with a carbide rod saw combinded with a coping saw frame.
This works quite well if you flush with water as you cut for
lubrication and debris removal. If you are using a flange to cover the
hole then you will be in good shape, otherwise you will have to polish
the rough edges with a diamond tipped Dremel bit or similar.

Either
way you go, practice once on a scrap piece of glass or old mirror. You
probably wont be lucky on the first shot.

Or as is more likely (especially in my case), you'll get lucky the first
time, think "Hey, this is easy," and then ruin the good mirror.

Pete