Douglas Johnson

Default How to Cut a Hole in a Mirror

I'm just finishing out a new bathroom and my bride would like a full mirror
behind the vanity. This will require cutting a hole in the mirror for the wall
mount light. I know I can get a glass company to make the mirror and can think
of several possibilities for DIY as well:

1) Take a new glass cutter and score a circle, then try to tap it out.
2) Drill four holes with a ceramic/glass bit, score between them, and tap it
out.
3) Drill a bunch of holes on the outline of the hole and break the glass between
them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug
ceraboy

Douglas Johnson wrote:

I'm just finishing out a new bathroom and my bride would like a full
mirror behind the vanity. This will require cutting a hole in the
mirror for the wall mount light. I know I can get a glass company to
make the mirror and can think of several possibilities for DIY as
well:

1) Take a new glass cutter and score a circle, then try to tap it out.
2) Drill four holes with a ceramic/glass bit, score between them, and
tap it out.
3) Drill a bunch of holes on the outline of the hole and break the
glass between them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

You will never get a scored piece of glass out cleanly, particularly if
it is not a straight line. Most likely the crack will propogate where
you dont want it (they do make it look so easy in the movies). Try a
carbide hole drill bit (they make them up to several inches in
diameter), that may just do the trick, but be careful about tearing up
the mirror coating on the back when you break through. Alternately you
could try drilling one hole with a carbide bit and then slowly saw the
hole out with a carbide rod saw combinded with a coping saw frame.
This works quite well if you flush with water as you cut for
lubrication and debris removal. If you are using a flange to cover the
hole then you will be in good shape, otherwise you will have to polish
the rough edges with a diamond tipped Dremel bit or similar. Either
way you go, practice once on a scrap piece of glass or old mirror. You
probably wont be lucky on the first shot.
PJS

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Douglas Johnson wrote:

[...]

Or as is more likely (especially in my case), you'll get lucky the first
time, think "Hey, this is easy," and then ruin the good mirror.

Pete

Grandpa Koca

Douglas Johnson wrote:
I'm just finishing out a new bathroom and my bride would like a full mirror
behind the vanity. This will require cutting a hole in the mirror for the wall
mount light. I know I can get a glass company to make the mirror and can think
of several possibilities for DIY as well:

1) Take a new glass cutter and score a circle, then try to tap it out.
2) Drill four holes with a ceramic/glass bit, score between them, and tap it
out.
3) Drill a bunch of holes on the outline of the hole and break the glass between
them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

If you're going to have a glass company make the mirror, then have them
make the hole at the same time. Less hassle on your part, and they get
to make the "mistakes." Give them good measurements and it will be a
piece of cake.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

ameijers

"PJS" wrote in message

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Douglas Johnson wrote:

(snip)
Or as is more likely (especially in my case), you'll get lucky the first
time, think "Hey, this is easy," and then ruin the good mirror.

What he said. Ever look in the dumpster behind a glass company? Even pros
screw up a lot, and they do this every day. Cost of doing business for them-
one reason mirror/specialty glass prices are so high. After you bust the
first blank and have to go back for another one, the price for them to cut
the hole will seem cheap. Give SWMBO a choice- either pay for the glass
company to make the mirror, or move the lamp to the adjoining wall or the
ceiling.

IMHO, of course, and YMMV. Who knows, maybe you have the touch.

aem sends.....

Douglas Johnson

"ameijers" wrote:

"PJS" wrote in message
.. .

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Douglas Johnson wrote:

(snip)
Or as is more likely (especially in my case), you'll get lucky the first
time, think "Hey, this is easy," and then ruin the good mirror.

Give SWMBO a choice- either pay for the glass
company to make the mirror, or move the lamp to the adjoining wall or the
ceiling.

That'd me be crawlling around in the 140 degree attic moving the light. Don't
think that's a great option.

IMHO, of course, and YMMV. Who knows, maybe you have the touch.

Not this boy. I'd ace the practice pieces and bust the mirror.

-- Doug

Oscar_Lives

[...]

See the thread on peep holes. You don't have to cut a hole, just scratch
the silver backing off in a small spot.

ceraboy

Oscar_Lives wrote:

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

How does this help you get the light fixture through????????
Edwin Pawlowski

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in message

This will require cutting a hole in the mirror for the wall
mount light. I know I can get a glass company to make the mirror and can
think
of several possibilities for DIY as well:

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

Only one suggestion. Have the glass company make the hole.

How much is the mirror going to cost and how many will you need to practice
on?

OK, two suggestions. Make the mirror lower that the fixture. Mine is about
3" below the box and it still goes over my head.
Ed

Michael Daly

On 4-Sep-2004, "ceraboy" wrote:

Try a
carbide hole drill bit (they make them up to several inches in

Better is a diamond coring bit made for cutting holes in glass.
Best is to let a glass shop do it since they have the tools and
the experience.

Mike
Greg

Better is a diamond coring bit made for cutting holes in glass.
Best is to let a glass shop do it since they have the tools and
the experience.

I second that. I had them cut some holes in a mirror for me and it wasn't that
expensive, but I did buy the mirror from them.