Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| Connor T wrote:
| I have pvc single glazing at the moment, my question is would
| double glazing make things silent?
| No. Conventional double glazing will reduce the noise, but not
| by much. To get a meaningful reduction you need secondary glazing
| spaced away from the main windows by as much as is practical.
| And the thicker the glass on the secondary glazing, the better.

It will help if the original glazing is solid and well-fitting, as well as
using accoustic tile in the reveals. Some suggest that having different
thicknesses of glass help.

The pub across the road from me has replaced its single-glazed glass with
d/g sealed units in the existing frames, fitted an additional single glass
to the outside of the windows with beading, and fitted a secondary glazing
system about a ft inside the windows. The aim in this case was to stop music
noise getting out. Now if they would only keep the door shut ...

It is also useful to look carefully at things like air bricks into the
underfloor void, and lobbying the front door.

Owain