Jay Pique

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:43:16 GMT, Lazarus Long
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:38:13 -0400, Jay Pique
wrote:

I'd love to source all of my precision measuring devices from
Starrett, but at double and triple the price of almost identical tools
from overseas I'm having a tough time mustering up enough patriotism
to justify the additional cash outlay.

I'll be honest, I *trust* Starrett, and I'd like to use their products
where I can in the shop - not only for the whole "buy American" thing,
but for the peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can eliminate
measuring errors from the list of causes of my myriad ****ups. Anyone
have any experience negotiating directly with Starrett to get more
competitive pricing? Just wondering...

Oh yeah - it looks like Lee Valley is making straightedges now. A
four or six footer would sure be nice for the jointer... Dad's a
Canuck so I guess I can feel ok buying (and buying, and buying...)
from them!!

JP
*************************
NAFTA friendly.

I suffered with the same decision. I chose to go with Mitutoyo. I've
got one of their dial calipers and a combination square with a center
finder and protractor head. Love that protractor head.

However, if Starett wasn't so far out their price wise, I'd get that.
But for a hobbyist woodworker, it's just too much.

Heh - that's almost exactly what I said to the guy at the Starrett
booth last week. I was nice about it, and said that I'd prefer to buy
Starrett, but with Mitutoyo at half the cost it's tough to justify.
He shrugged.

JP